As of 5th December 2022 made changes to the way we allocating properties on BradfordHomes. These changes are to help prioritise allocating properties to those in higher housing need. There are 2 big changes that we are making.
- We are switching off Nominations Based Lettings (NBL).
- We are making changes to how properties are allocated via the Property Shop
NBL is the system that automatically matches applicants to suitable properties advertised on BradfordHomes. This system prioritises applicants according to their banding and how long they have been in that band. The NBL system offers limited choice to the customer as it is automated. As part of the new pilot, we are switching off the NBL system and only allocate properties via the Property shop.
The Property Shop is a choice based system where by the applicant is able to bid for a property in their preferred areas/street and the applicant has options and input in where they want to live. Currently the Property Shop on Bradford Homes operates on a 1st come 1st serve (“fastest fingers 1st”) basis for prioritising applicants. Due to applicants in the most Housing Need missing out on properties we have decided to change the way The Property Shop prioritises applicants from “fastest finger 1st” to priority banding and band effective date (when your banding was awarded).
How will these changes affect applications?
- Applicants will no longer be automatically matched to suitable properties but rather all applicants will now have to be bidding for available properties on the property shop.
- When an applicant places a bid for a property their queue position at the time of bid may change depending on an applicant with higher banding or has had the same banding for a longer period bidding on the property after they did.
- Applicants in higher housing need will appear higher up on the shortlists for properties therefore giving them better chances of being offered the property.
- Property adverts will be open on the system for longer periods (5 calendar days for new builds and properties under notice or minimum of 24 hours for properties ready to let) this will allow applicants more time to place bids.
Can I get help to place bids?
- BradfordHomes is a self-serve system and is designed for applicants to place their own bids, if you do not know how to use the system the Council may be able to assist you by showing you how it’s done at the Customer Service Centre at Britannia house, Hall Ings, Bradford, BD1 1HX.
- All applicants are expected to use the self-serve system, exceptions will be made for applicants that can’t bid due to exceptional circumstances such as severe disabilities, old age, language barriers, applicants owed a homelessness duty etc. in these situations please contact our Customer Contact Team on (01274) 435999 or call into the Customer Service Centre at Britannia house, Hall Ings, Bradford, BD1 1HX or Keighley Customer Service Centre, Town Hall, Bow Street, BD21 3PA?.
- If you do not have access to the internet you can try going to your local library, community centre or utilise friends, support workers and family members for assistance.